Japan: Kyoto Program--Deep Dive into Japan
Dates: June 22 - July 15, 2018
$750 SJSU Special Session Tuition ($250 per unit)
$200 Administration Fee
$2,975 Program fees, lodging, class materials and class related tours approximately*
Total Program Cost
* Airfare is not included. Students will need approximately $600 for meals and free time.
Do you love Japanese anime and manga? They surely give you a peek into Japanese culture and society, but you will see the REAL Japan in the Kyoto Program. Immerse yourself in the life of a Japanese family. Let your curiosity about the culture, the society and the history of Japan sparkle through lectures, workshops, site visits, and interviews. This 25-day summer program will take you across the Pacific to the deep parts of Japan.
Highlights of the program are:
- Staying with a host family for two weeks in Kyoto
- Learning the Japanese language in daily encounters with Japanese people
- Visiting culturally and historically venerated sites in Kyoto, Uji, Nara, and Hiroshima
- Getting first-hand experiences with cultural practices, such as tea ceremony, washoku (Japanese cuisine) cooking, zen meditation, kabuki theatre, and pop culture
- Exploring contemporary issues of ecology, commerce, aging society, and agriculture through company visits and lectures in Kyoto, Osaka, and Tokyo
- Getting to know the work-life of a foreign teacher of English at a public school through a school visit and an interview.
See their website
for more information. Apply directly to San Jose State.
You will transfer the credits back to CSULB at the end of the program.
ASI-CSULB Study Abroad Scholarship
A limited number of $750 scholarships are available for short-term, study abroad programs.
for more information and to apply for the scholarship.
Deadline to apply for scholarships: March 12, 2018